Just a stone’s throw away from Amsterdam lies the unique area of Waterland with endless opportunities to entertain you. Waterland consists of the villages like Monnickendam, Marken, Broek in Waterland, Ilpendam, Katwoude, Uitdam and Zuiderwoude. Each one of these places has its own charm and a cultural and historical background that makes a visit very worth while. Enjoy the well-maintained monuments that adorn the old cityscapes and village views. Nearly half of the entire surface area of Waterland consists of water (no less than 5000 hectares).
The municipality thus provides considerable opportunities for water recreation; sailing on the Markermeer or IJsselmeer lakes, sunbathe at the recreational park waterfront and having a drink at one of the outdoor cafes in one of the picturesque villages or cities. If you would like to explore Waterland by boat, consider a whispering boat, motorboat, rowing boat or canoe. Explore the best of Waterland on the water, between the reeds, with a gentle breeze for company. Waterland is also pre-eminently suitable for walking tours and bicycle rides. The decor consists of open grass polders, peat rivers and ribbon development villages with colourful woorden houses and traditional Dutch farmhouses built in the shape of pyramids. All places in Waterland are in easy reach from Amsterdam, whether by car, public transport or bicycle. Waterland may be close by but it is an entirely different world. We are glad to assist you with your itinerary but here some of the best addresses to book your local trip:
- Book your bike,e-bike, e-scooter, or e-fatbike with delivery at our location via Fietsverhuur Monnickendam;
- Book your private city tour with guide via firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Book your electric “Fluister” boat via Fluisterboot verhuur
- Book your kajak via Weeshuis Monnickendam;
- Near the hotel you can also find our tourist information office. Also available online at Welkom in Waterland